Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bring on those 60 birthday candles

At last, here’s some good news from the wide world of news. This one comes from Stony Brook University and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.

Researchers there have concluded that age measurements that have traditionally categorized people as “elderly” or “old” at a certain age (usually 65) are no longer valid and must adjust accordingly.

The study, published in Plos One, maintains that people in their 60s should no longer be considered elderly. Instead they should be categorized as middle-aged.  Age can be measured as time lived, the study reveals, or it can be measured as time yet to live, based on the current human life expectancy.

So there you have it. It’s science; 60 is the new 50, maybe even the new 40.

This comes as particularly good news to me because the door for my entry into the sixth decade of life is only a few months away from opening.  I’ve always agreed with the iconic, baseball legend, Satchel Paige, that “age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.”

I sprinted past 30, took 40 in stride, winked at 50, and then paused long enough at 55 to scratch my balding head and squint my curious eyes as if I had just read a road sign that warned, “Danger ahead,” and wondered why.

What makes the number 60 appear so ominous? After all, I feel great, exercise daily and am, in my opinion, more on top of my game than ever. I’ve learned from mistakes and moved on.

So, what’s to dread about this particular birthday celebration?

The number of candles on my next birthday cake doesn’t bother me.  The caution light was flashing because I was imagining what people’s perception of my age would be.

“Don’t work out so hard, ol’ man. You’re 60, remember?”

“You probably couldn’t relate to them.  They’re so much younger than you. After all, you’re 60.”

“I’m so sorry. I’ll talk louder; I didn’t know you were 60.”

But now, thanks to my friends at Stony Brook University and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, I can say, “Why should I slow down? There’s no ol’ man around here.” And, “Try me. I can probably relate, even though I’m barely middle aged.” And, “You don’t need to talk louder. Didn’t you know 60 is the new 50, maybe even the new 40?”

It even gets better.

Lori and I were shopping the other day, and I spied a display of interesting quotes handsomely mounted. Here’s one I wish I had bought. It’s another Satchel Paige classic: “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” I smiled because I don’t think I am even to the new middle age yet.

I like how comedian George Carlin put it,  “I’m 60 years of age. That’s 16 Celsius.”

My birthdate is a matter of fact; how I feel about it is a matter of perspective.

So instead of seeing that number as a sign that I’m over the hill, I’m going to see it as a marker that I’m not even half way up the hill, and God willing that I’m still around then, I’ll embrace that day with both arms and keep climbing.

And blow out the candles.


No comments:

Post a Comment