Thursday, July 9, 2015

The power of others’ prayers

At the close of a visit with friend who has spent more time in the hospital than either he or anyone anticipated, I asked him what I could do for him. Without a moment’s hesitation, he said as plainly as his physical condition would allow: “I want you to pray for me.”

He knew people had been praying for him practically around the clock. But there is still comfort in having someone take you by the hand---especially when circumstances of life cascade over you till you feel like you are about to drown under the pressure---and praying on your behalf.

He received my prayer as if it were a precious gift---like a cup of cold water to a man who had gone days without drinking.

Does prayer help? My friend would answer with an emphatic, “Yes.” Christian novelist Ted Dekker said, “Prayer may just be the most powerful tool mankind has.”

Some studies seem to indicate that pray does have a powerful healing effect.

According to ABC News, one such study, conducted at Mid-America Heart Institute in Kansas City, MO., divided 1,000 heart patients into two groups. One group was prayed for by a number of volunteers as well as the hospital’s chaplain, and the other group was not. The patients were not told they were being prayed for or that they were part of an experiment. The experiment was conducted over the course of a year, during which the patients’ health was scored according to pre-set rules by a third party who did not know which patients had been prayed for and which had not. The results: The patients who were prayed for had 11 percent fewer heart attacks, strokes and life-threatening complications.

Dr. James O’Keefe, who reluctantly agreed to help fellow cardiologist, Dr.William Harris, conduct the experiment said, "This study offers an interesting insight into the possibility that maybe God is influencing our lives on Earth," while admitting that as a scientist, “it's very counterintuitive because I don't have a way to explain it."

Dr. Elizabeth Targ, a psychiatrist at the Pacific College of Medicine in San Francisco, has also tested prayer on critically ill AIDS patients. She has found that patients who received prayer had six times fewer hospitalizations and that those hospitalizations were significantly shorter than those who were not prayed for.

And Harold G. Koenig, M.D., director of Duke University’s Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health, told Newsmax Health that “studies have shown prayer can prevent people from getting sick — and when they do get sick, prayer can help them get better faster.”

There is much about this I don’t understand. Are my chances for healing better if I join a large church so I can have more people praying for me in a time of need, and if so, what about that poor soul who knows only a handful of people because he lives alone in a remote town? Or is it the fervency and power of the prayers and not necessarily the numbers of those praying? Or is it a combination?

I do know God hears when we cry out to him, whether it’s your voice alone, “In my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears” (Psalm 18:6), or the prayers of many together: “They (the early disciples) all met together and were constantly united in prayer…”(Acts 1:14).

When it comes to how prayer works, I don’t have it all figured out. But that doesn’t stop me from praying.

Prayer works, even if I don’t see visible results in the person for whom I’m praying.

Prayer works on me most of all. As Christian author Philip Yancey has said, “When I pray for another person, I am praying for God to open my eyes so that I can see that person as God does, and then enter into the stream of love that God already directs toward that person.”

Holding the hand of my friend in the hospital, I sense the yearning of a person desiring to know the love of God a little better and the heart of a man determined to live so he can tell the story.

And I know that though he is in a hospital bed, it is well with his soul.






No comments:

Post a Comment