Friday, January 9, 2015

It’s not about the knots

Two days after Christmas I surprised my wife with a post-Christmas present. It had been somewhat of a blue Christmas for her, and I thought my gift would help.

So I gave her a rope.

“A what?” you incredulously ask. “A rope? Really?”

Maybe you’re thinking my gift ranks right up there with Barney Fife (Don Knotts, The Andy Griffith Show) giving his mom and dad a septic tank for their anniversary.

“They were thrilled. Two tons of concrete, all steel reinforced,” Barney informs Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith).

Andy: “You’re a fine son, Barn.”

Barney: “I try.”

If it makes you feel any better, I also try, and yes, believe it or not, Lori was thrilled with the rope.
Perhaps I should explain why.

The rope I gave her was not just any ol’ rope. It was a “komboskini,” which is a transliteration from the Greek language for “prayer rope.” It’s sometimes called a “chotki” which is the transliteration from the Russian, also meaning “prayer rope.”

Prayer ropes are used by Eastern Orthodox Christians to pray what is known as, “The Jesus Prayer,” a short and ancient form of prayer, the words of which are, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.”

An Eastern Orthodox priest introduced me to the prayer rope several years ago when he, like I, was on a retreat at Gethsemani Abby. I was inspired to put this prayer into practice after I read the book, The Way of a Pilgrim, which was written by an anonymous Russian Christian. The book chronicles the author’s travels through mid-nineteenth century Russia and Siberia as he visited monasteries and shrines to the saints in order to “prayer without ceasing.”

“Reject all other thoughts (you can do this if you will) and allow that faculty to repeat only the following words constantly, ‘Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.’ Compel yourself to do it always. If you succeed for a time, then without a doubt your heart also will open to prayer,” he wrote.

The practice of the Jesus Prayer predates The Way of the Pilgrim, and can be traced to the 5th Century where it was utilized by the monastic Desert Fathers.

So I bought a prayer rope and began praying The Jesus Prayer, most often early in the morning, but also through the day.
It’s not complicated. Indeed, the beauty of the prayer is its simplicity.

Prayer ropes work like prayer beads only with knots instead of beads.  You can purchase prayer ropes with 33, 50, 100, 300, or 500 knots. I got Lori one with 100 knots because that’s what I have, and we can meditate together for about the same length of time. I breathe in and repeat, “Lord Jesus Christ,” and breathe out, “have mercy on my a sinner,” while lightly holding the rope with my left hand, moving from knot to knot as I pray. In the process, the exact words of the prayer sort of disappear, so that they are there but not there, kind of like the background music in an elevator.

It’s my way of centering myself in the direction of God. Praying through the prayer rope helps me practice mindfulness, a moment by moment awareness of things I would not normally pay attention to.  It opens me to the possibility of practicing the presence of God through the day and evening. And, since I am not by nature a calm person, it has worked wonders to slow me down. At the more deliberate and less frantic pace, I actually accomplish more.

And Lori, through these years, noticing its effect in me, expressed an interest in the prayer.

Hence, my gift of the rope to her.

I admit that I often struggle through those knots, fending off the temptation to rush, frequently refocusing and gathering my scattered thoughts.

But like Thomas Merton, I believe the very desire to please God does in fact please him, even when our efforts meet with difficulty or even failure.

You see, the prayer is not about the knots.  It’s not about learning a method; it’s about turning the mind Godward. Using the prayer rope is certainly not the only way I pray, but it has enhanced the other forms of prayer. As Dom Chapman wisely said, “Pray as you can, don’t pray as you can’t.”

No, it’s not about knots; it’s about getting there, to that sacred place, into the Presence.

And enjoying the company of the One who has mercy on us, sinners.


No comments:

Post a Comment