Thursday, December 3, 2015

Being thankful when everything is not going your way


His car slammed into mine on my driver’s side.

I didn’t see it coming.

After that initial shock that comes when we’ve been in an accident, my first thought was, “Did I do something wrong?” After all, some of my family members tease me whenever I get behind the wheel: “Mr. Magoo’s driving again. Say a prayer.”

But no, I had the right of way. It wasn’t my fault. And the police report would verify that.

Which made me all the more aggravated; all this trouble because someone else wasn’t paying attention.

Negative rhetoric dominated my thoughts: “Why wasn’t that guy looking? If only I hadn’t turned in here. Now my car will never be the same. Ugh, all the trouble dealing with insurance.”

I called my wife, and her first question was, “Are you hurt?”

That question caused to me pause and think of something I read years ago.

It was a story about Matthew Henry, the 17th century Bible scholar. Once he was robbed, and after the incident, he wrote this in his diary: “Let me be thankful first, because I was never robbed before: second, because, although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, because, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.”

Standing there in the parking lot, waiting for the police to arrive, I decided to find something for which I could be thankful.

Included in the picture of my car I sent from my phone to my Mr. Magoo Fan Club, I texted:

“Thankfully, I wasn’t injured.”

“I was in our older car instead of our newer one.”

“Thank the Lord we have two cars.”

“It happened on the side of the car that already had a noticeable dent from a previous incident.” (No, that one wasn’t my fault either.)

“Although it was an accident, at least I wasn’t at fault.”

“The other driver has insurance.”

Admittedly, this was an “incident” and not a major disaster. Giving thanks in serious circumstances is more difficult.

As a pastor, I’ve prayed with people who have faced financial ruin, divorce, miscarriages, mental health issues, and cancer. I’ve stood by people as they’ve buried loved ones, and I’ve watched people die way too young.

And the answer for why some of these things happen is unexplainable.

Yet, finding something to be grateful in the midst of trying circumstances is key to overcoming the bad that inevitably comes our way. Otherwise, the things we don’t like will take over our thoughts and rule our life.

But how do can we be grateful when things don’t go our way?

Take a step back and look at the larger picture.

Paul the Apostle was convinced that God somehow works good out of even the worst situations for them that love him and are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) Knowing that God is still in control seems crucial to rising above our circumstances. We may not see it now, maybe not even this side of eternity, but we trust that God will somehow bring something good from the bad and that love will ultimately win. That conviction can keep us from suffocating in the current miasma and look for good in the midst of it.

We don’t have to wait for something tragic to happen to practice gratitude. It begins with being grateful for the little things: your spouse making up the bed, a friend giving you a special spice she likes, a beautiful sunrise, hearing a grandchild say, “I love you,” or having a child say, “You were always there.”

Bad things happen. We can’t change that. The only thing we can change is our attitude toward those things.

The preacher, Dr. Alexander Whyte, was known for his pulpit prayers. He always seemed to find something to thank God for, even in trying times.

One miserably wet, cold Sunday morning a member of his congregation thought to himself, “The preacher will have nothing to thank God for on a wretched morning like this.”

But Dr. Whyte began his prayer, “We thank Thee, O God, that it is not always like this.”

Sometimes that’s all we can do. And sometimes, that’s all that’s necessary to move on and hope for a better tomorrow, even in the midst of today’s pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment