Thursday, October 13, 2016

A defeated foe


Exiting the 9/11 Museum in New York City last week, my wife, daughter, and I didn’t say much. The museum, dramatically commemorating the events of the fateful day when terrorists took 2,997 lives, had a sobering effect on us. We lingered outside, traipsing along with the solemnity of people who have just left a funeral.

Gazing down into the two reflecting pools---each nearly an acre in size, situated where the Twin Towers once stood, edged by bronze panels in which the names of every person who died on September 11 is etched---I was nearly elbow to elbow with people from various nationalities, races, and religions. The roar of the waterfalls surrounding the pools had a soothing effect, enticing people to stop and stare and contemplate. “The terrorists’ intentions backfired.” I said to myself. “The spirit of those New Yorkers---the spirit of America---defeated the murderers that day.”

All kinds of people gather there to honor the heroic response to evil.

People come to this nation for all kinds of reasons, not all of them good. Some, like the 9/11 terrorists, come to kill and destroy. We are very aware of that and should be. But many more arrive looking for something plain and simple: freedom.

And a chance.

One of our drivers, (My daughter, now a 6-year resident of NYC, cautioned me, to no avail, about talking so much to taxi or Uber drivers) was from Egypt. His family is still there. He had come to America hoping to work and save enough money for them to join him. “It’s not just the finances. The trouble in getting them here is acquiring the visas,” he told me.

He had come to the United States for a reason. “Yes, I am a Christian,” he answered in response to my question about the cross hanging from his rear view mirror.  

Christians in Egypt---which according to an Open Doors 2016 Watch List for Christian persecution---ranks 22nd among the most dangerous countries in which Christians live---can find it difficult to find and keep jobs. This was the case with our driver.

As he maneuvered through the traffic, I imagined what it would be like to lose my job and not be able to support my family simply because of my faith in Jesus Christ.

“Stay faithful,” I tried to encourage him as we left, and then I felt guilty because that was all I said.

Another driver, from Nepal, had a similar story. Persecution of Christians in that country has increased recently. Several months ago, perhaps because of a new law, 7 students were arrested for handing out Bible handbooks, according to International Christian Concern.

Like the Egyptian gentleman, our Nepalese driver had been persecuted for his faith. He searched for the words to explain: “The majority can make it difficult for you to find and keep work if you are a Christian.”

“I worship with a small group of Nepalese Christians here who meet together every Sunday,” he told me. “We strengthen each other, and sometimes I preach.”

When I inquired if they were a part of a particular denomination, he beamed, “No denomination; just Jesus.”

“Please keep this for yourself or give it to your congregation tomorrow,” I told him as I offered him extra money.

“God bless you,” he shouted as I walked away.

“God bless you,” I echoed back.

And every time we bless those who come to our shores, immigrants hoping to find hope, we remind the terrorists, those of the 9/11 variety as well as the ones who follow them, that they are already a defeated foe.









No comments:

Post a Comment